This is a modular stone sculpture I created recently for an environment that I am working on for a slot machine. Everything is rendered to 2D but this could also function as a 3D asset.
Tuesday, February 11, 2014
I started an Elk head sculpt for an art show that DDI is having internally. I am super stoked! I will try to make progress posts :)
Here is the base mesh for my elk sculpt. I tried to push the profile shapes as much as possible. The finished work may have a slightly different silhouette depending on how much I add to it.
Day? I am terrible at this! It's the future! I started this project on 2/9/2014 and it is due by 3/13/14.
Got a chance to add more support at the base along with adding wires for the shoulders. Added the ears as well, the silhouette is coming along.
As I build up the mesh I can take out some of the supports I have in place. It is hard to tell but I took out a support in the snout because it made it too messy and noisy.
Speaking of noisy :) These photographs are great because I can see where I should clean up and where I should add more density. I am really happy with the eyes so far but these pictures have not done them justice. I will be adding much more to them after I revisit the base and work my way up into the horns. I am doing my best to work around the sculpt as much as possible without adding too much to one place too quick. I also have to keep the structure in mind because the horns will be pretty challenging.
I have sooo much work to do! The antlers have been a pain in the ass and the art show is on Thursday March 14. I have to make sure the structure to the antlers is sturdy and then worry about the shape of them and then add more detail to the eyes. I still need to make eyeballs out of copper wire. Tomorrow night may very well be an all nighter!
And then there are our cats! I have them swatting, chewing and climbing all over the wire. Real cute though!
A little over a month of after work wire twisting and my Elk head was shown at the company art show.
It is hard to tell in the photos but I coiled copper wire for the eyes to bring more focus to them. The antlers were super bouncy and I had to keep the wire to a minimum towards the top. I wish more people could see it in person because these images still do not do it justice compared to walking around it.
It actually looks small in this photo but at my apartment it takes up a lot of space.
Overall, I am really happy with how the it turned out. I definitely could have spent an entire year on this so I am glad I had a deadline.
Also, it was officially called:
Wire Elk on the wall?
Thursday, July 18, 2013
Fast Iron is a Leap Motion, Quick Draw game, developed by Massively Fun. On this project I learned both Unity and Blender. In 3 months my responsibilities were to concept and create the environment (props, textures, lighting ect.), create outlaw characters(Including their guns and accessories), and contributing in many other aspects of the art and design.
All characters were posed and animated by Sean Popp. The hero character in the sunset scenes was created by Alex Pelayre.
Thursday, January 3, 2013
This is where I am currently at with a German Shepherd sculpt I have been working on. I am about done and ready for retopo.
Made some subtle changes now I am really going to get started on retopo.
I used my normals as a base for my diffuse. I painted over it with Blenders body paint. It is at the point now where I need to get it into an engine so I can create a spec and blend normals.
Monday, December 17, 2012
In the world of 3D rocks, there are a lot of turds out there. I just wanted to share my process of making a modular rock.
I start with a sphere in z brush and then use dyna mesh to pull it around until I have a nice lumpy shape.
Once I am happy with my lumpy shape I use the clipping curve to cut nice hard edges. You can establish a pretty good start with this tool.
After I have cut some hard edges I like to drag some alphas on to the model. This is not for finishing touches at this point. I do this to pull out new shapes and help decide where I want large cracks in the rock.
I then smooth out any noise created by the alphas. I use mostly h polish, the clip curve, dam standard, and clay buildup. I find these tools helpful when dealing with hard edges.
Note: Hard edges are super important!
When creating the rock, I am mindful of where I can hide the seems in cracks.
Once I am finished with the rock I decimate it down to about 1k.
If I needed it to be lower poly then I could retopo manually in topogun to maintain small cracks and edges. This would look cleaner but take a little more time.
The end result is shown in the 3dsmax window. I then use poInt to point seems to trace along the cracks.
Here is the finished seems and the pack.
The first thing I do as far as textures go, is bake out my normals. It is always important to test normals with no textures applied.
Once I know my normals are good I use crazybump to get a nice start for my diffuse. I then overlay textures. It is important to not use too noisy of textures with rocks. I feel like mine could have used some more smooth spots to give the eye a rest.
When I have an okay base I bring my model and textures into mudbox for polypaint. Here I can touch up seems and establish how I want my textures to be broken up.
As far as spec goes I gave it a little bit to catch the eye on the edges as well as the stone texture itself. Too strong of spec could have made it too noisy and look wet.
Note: If this was for a game with major restrictions I would have used two tilable textures for the stone and then masked in between them. The same could be done with the moss depending on shaders.
This is my final product.
I tried a mossy version as well.
I hope this was helpful and turned out okay :)